"Legal Justice Together - Call for Action", Saturday 15 March 2014
This FREE one day conference in Manchester will cover the massive challenges to publicly funded legal advice services locally, regionally and nationally. YLAL is speaking and you can meet our members throughout the day - come and say hello at our stall.
Access to legal justice and advice is under sustained attack.
Crises are mounting and our communities are suffering harms, with intolerable cuts already to advice provision and legal aid and more, punitive, legal aid cuts planned, across criminal and civil law.
Access To Advice is organising the conference to:
- Bring together practitioners and all those affected by cuts to legal aid and legal advice provision - in both criminal and civil law.
- Share updates on what's happening and planned in each area of law and provision.
- Update on and plan campaign actions for positive change at local, regional and national level.
The day will be a mix of lead speakers, discussions and workshop sessions. Your contributions and suggestions will be welcome throughout the day.
Mark George QC, criminal legal aid barrister, Head of Chambers, Garden Court North
Steve Hynes, Director of the Legal Action Group
Lord Low, Chair of the Low Commission on the future of social welfare advice and legal support
Denise McDowell, Director of the Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit.
Speaking on the current situation, and campaigning for positive change and resilience.
Discussions will cover:
- Impact of April 2013 legal aid cuts, including: Domestic Violence, Welfare Reform, Poverty.
- Future changes and impacts, including Immigration Bill and Residence Test for legal aid; Judicial Review: prisoners rights; criminal Law - representation, fees and viability.
- Strategies for survival now, including the challenges of : commissioning; pro bono / volunteer services; charging.
- Fighting back - current campaigns, strategies and tactics - sharing and developing ideas for action.
The free conference will be held on Saturday 15 March 2014, 10am to 4pm at The Mechanics Institute Conference Centre, 103 Princess St, Manchester M1 6DD.
The venue is accessible by wheelchair. If you have any particular access needs, please let us know and we will endeavour to meet these.
Please book a place by emailing email@example.com
Please download the flyer below, and circulate it widely.
The conference is sponsored by:
Cheetham Hill Advice Centre; Doughty Street Chambers; Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit; Greater Manchester Welfare Rights Advisers Group; Green Party; Haldane Society of Socialist Lawyers; Kenworthy's Chambers; Northern Save Justice Campaign; Unison; Unite the Union; Young Legal Aid Lawyers