The Administrative Paralegal provides administrative support to PLP’s casework team and works with the Casework Paralegal in supporting the Deputy Legal Director in the efficient running of the team. After six months in role, we expect the Administrative Paralegal will also be able to start carrying out certain casework support duties that involve more substantive casework, as detailed below. There is potential development in time to a Casework Paralegal or other roles for the right candidate. The role is line managed by a Lead Lawyer.
Job title: Administrative Paralegal
Contract term: Permanent
Location: Central London (EC1V)
Hours: 35 hours (full-time) but we would consider part-time or flexible working arrangements
Deadline: 11.59pm Thursday 28th October 21
Interviews will be held on Monday 15th and Tuesday 16th November 21
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following is an illustrative but not exclusive list of the primary duties and responsibilities of the Administrative Paralegal role (NB this is not an exhaustive list and we anticipate that the role will need to be developed):
Casework administration Providing general administrative support to PLP’s casework team including:
- Prepare outgoing post and faxes, book couriers and deal with the incoming post for the casework team (and liaising with Office Admin roles about this)
- Answering the telephone, forwarding calls and taking messages as necessary
- Assist caseworkers to set up and maintain client files, including printing and filing correspondence and other paperwork; setting up hard copy and electronic files; preparing and filing attendance notes; recording time
- Prepare, index, paginate, scan and copy bundles of documents for court, counsel and the Legal Aid Agency
- Travel out of the office as required to issue proceedings and file bundles at Courts and Tribunals, and serve proceedings and bundles on Defendants
- Prepare payment requests to pay interpreters, counsel and independent experts
- Assisting with preparation for audit and reviews such as Lexcel Quality Mark accreditation and LAA audits
- Assisting operational team members with archiving as appropriate and ensuring GDPR compliance.
- Assisting caseworkers to claim expenses
- Scanning documents for the team generally including case documents and training materials
- Booking training courses and travel for casework staff
How to apply:
Application process - PLP is an equal opportunities employer and Disability Confident Employer. We welcome applications from individuals regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy/maternity, race, religion and belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Interview questions will be decided in advance based on their relevance to the job description and person specification and scored separately by interviewers. A score sheet will be set in advance, interviewers may only use information from the application form, the interview and any other assessment methods to inform their score.
For information and how to apply please follow this link